Frequently Asked Questions:
Does your child move, talk, learn, and eat like other children his or her age? Have teachers, physicians, or other caregivers expressed concerns about your child’s development? Capernaum staff can help you determine if physical, occupational, or speech therapy evaluations and/or registered dietitian services are needed. If you have questions or concerns, our therapists are available to help address them. If you would like to know more about our therapy services, call the front office at 952-285-2840, and we would be happy to answer any questions or set up a time for you to meet with a therapist.
Starting something new is difficult for most of us, and the anticipation can cause unnecessary nervousness in children of all ages and abilities. We want kids and parents to feel at ease from the first moment they meet Capernaum staff! Below is a summary of what to expect on your first visit:
- After you have contacted Capernaum’s office, our staff will work with your child’s physician to obtain a doctor’s order for therapy. You will be asked to complete a packet of forms which can be mailed to you or you may download it from our website. Please complete the forms and return them to the therapist at your child’s initial evaluation. This packet includes our privacy and confidentiality policies, insurance and demographic form, and a questionnaire regarding your child’s history.
- The evaluation will consist of a parent/caregiver interview, standardized testing, and clinical observations.
- You will receive a report that describes the findings of the evaluation. Please contact the therapist if you have any further questions regarding this report.
- The therapist will update you and your child’s physician regarding your child’s progress.
Capernaum proudly works with the following insurance companies:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Hennepin Health
- Medical Assistance
- Preferred One
- Select Care
- And others!!
It is important that you contact your insurance provider to determine the details of your insurance plan. Please note that some plans within an insurance company may not cover all services.
Capernaum generally has openings in all therapies. If your child cannot be seen soon enough for your needs, we will gladly give you the names of other pediatric therapy providers in the area. The more flexible you are with therapy times, the faster you can get in!
The frequency and duration of your child’s therapy is dependent on your child’s particular skills and challenges. To encourage rapid progress, your therapist will work with you to determine your therapy schedule, provide home programming ideas, and discuss discharge plans regularly.
Benefits for Your Child:
- Improved coordination/strength and mobility and/or communication skills
- Improved functional life skills and readiness to learn and play
- Improved self-esteem and sense of self-worth
- Improved social skills, attention, and ability to participate in community activities
- If appropriate, G-tube to oral feeding
- Assist with obtaining appropriate, durable medical equipment
Benefits for You:
- Increased understanding and awareness of your child’s strengths and challenges and how they impact their daily life
- Empower parents/caregivers/teachers to meet the individual needs of the child
The collaborative relationship between the therapist and the parent helps to develop/facilitate:
- Functional and meaningful goals
- Home programming
- Appropriate and timely referrals when necessary
- Beneficial community contacts with other providers, caregivers, and teachers working with your child
- Consistently follow through with your therapist’s home program recommendations
- Provide feedback to your therapist about progress and challenges
- Participate in therapy sessions as often as possible
- Ask questions and seek help when needed
- In most cases, the more involved the parent/caregivers are, the faster the child progresses
Therapy services that are provided in the school setting focus on developing skills that are needed specifically for education. Goals are developed that will impact the child’s role as a student. Therapy services outside of the school setting focus on the many roles of a child’s life within their home, school, and community activities.
My First Visit with Capernaum
A poem by one of our Capernaum kids!
Capernaum is a fun place where I get to play!
I will meet very nice people on that special day.
I’ll show them all the things I can do.
They’ll be proud of me ~ mom and dad too.
There are a lot of fun and really cool things!
My therapist likes to play, and she even sings!
I don’t need to worry just because it is new.
I will have fun with Capernaum, and I’ll learn a lot too!