Home-Based Therapy Services
Capernaum Pediatric Therapy's home-based therapists understand the challenges of having a home-bound or newly diagnosed child, recognizing how the entire family is impacted by this life-changing event. Whether it's a short-term post-operative recovery or a long-term chronic disease, we are sensitive to the fact that we are guests in your home with the privilege of training and equipping you to meet the needs of your child.
Our supportive therapists use a play-based, sensory motor approach to help your child achieve developmental milestones and maximize their functional potential. Suggestions are given to make your daily routine as therapeutic as possible. Capernaum therapists are passionate about helping families find joy in the journey of raising their children!
Capernaum offers home-based physical, occupational, and speech therapy for infants and children who are:
- Medically fragile (e.g., immuno-suppressed)
- Post-operative/temporarily homebound
- Technologically dependent (e.g., requires a ventilator to stay alive)
- In a family situation with undue hardship (e.g., both parents are disabled)
- Under the age of 3 years
- Residents of selected Twin Cities metropolitan service areas
Here are a few of the many benefits of Capernaum's home-based services:
- Capernaum’s collaborative approach provides the most comprehensive support for families. We work closely with public health nurses, county social services, private and public schools, home health nursing agencies, and other medical specialists involved in the child’s care.
- Therapy at home affords less chance of exposure to infection and communicable illness for children that are immuno-suppressed.
- Infants and children seen at home may be happier and more relaxed which can lead to increased participation and better outcomes.
- Caregiver empowerment. Capernaum provides support at a stressful time in parents’ lives and encourages family participation. Caregiver education regarding the child’s unique therapy requirements takes place within the family’s routine and incorporates the family’s own resources. They are taught to monitor and report change, which helps make therapy more meaningful and promotes involvement, understanding, and acceptance.
- Improved follow-through is noted with exercises and daily activities, as your family takes an active role in progressing your child’s development and in providing the best home environment available for your child. When the family is “on-board,” maximal independent functioning is promoted!
- Transportation stressors are eliminated.
- Home-based therapists can easily assure that the most appropriate, functionally-supportive equipment is ordered and truly used by your family.
- The home environment can readily be adapted for equipment or therapeutic benefit.
- Attendance is improved for medical and therapy appointments.
- The physician's prescribed plan of care is reinforced. Capernaum provides physicians with initial standardized evaluations, regular progress reports, and reassessments, giving them greater access to the family and more timely information. Weekly phone updates can be provided to physicians upon request.
Home-based therapy is an important tool for your child's comprehensive care. As a part of the overall healthcare plan, it can improve outcomes for medically complex children and make a positive change in your family's life. We hope to be a bright spot in your day when we come to your home!